Everyone is unique in their own way. We all have different body proportions and height measurements. But this uniqueness should not be a limitation when it comes to riding bikes. Nonetheless, shorter women find it difficult to find comfortable bikes for them to ride, so they mostly end up using children’s bikes.
But even if not many manufacturers make bikes for shorter women, some brands still consider their requirements while manufacturing bikes. So, when going to buy bikes specifically for shorter women, use the following information to help with a successful purchase.
- 1 Key bike features for shorter women
- 2 Bike Sizes for Shorter Women
- 3 Buying Tips & Suggestions
- 4 Top Five Best Bikes for Shorter Women
- 4.1 1. Best mountain bike: Schwinn High Timber 24-inch mountain bike
- 4.2 2. Best cruiser bike for short women: Huffy 24” Nel Lusso Women’s Cruiser Bike
- 4.3 3. Best hybrid bike: Sixthreezero EVRYjourney 24” Step-Through Hybrid Cruiser Bicycle
- 4.4 4. Best full suspension bike: Mongoose R3577 Maxim Full Suspension Bicycle
- 4.5 5. Best single speed bike: Sixthreezero Around the Block Women’s Single-Speed Beach Cruiser
Key bike features for shorter women
Certain features are specifically designed in bikes for shorter women, and it’s important to have prior knowledge of them. Before purchasing, make sure to check all the specs and, if possible, take the bike for a test drive.
- Body – The body of most bikes for shorter women is made of lightweight aluminum material. This way, the petite rider can handle and carry the bike easily.
- Frame design – The bike’s frame design is created to make mounting easy. Also, the bike has smaller tires for better maneuvering and control.
- Seat-paddle distance – The distance between the paddle and seat is kept small so that the riders can easily reach the paddle.
- Seat-handle distance – Similarly, the seat and handle distance is also kept to a minimum. This is to ensure that no back or neck problems are created while trying to reach the handles.
- Seat – The seat is properly cushioned for comfort, especially if it is perched on top of the seat further from the paddle.
All these features have a common goal: to provide a bike that is comfortable to ride so they can enjoy their time cruising around.
Bike Sizes for Shorter Women
When it comes to bikes for shorter women, there are a lot of things that need to be considered. It is best to get a bike fit service for both store and online purchases. This way, the bike will be customized based on your height and preferences. The following shows two size charts for mountain bikes and road bikes for shorter women.
Mountain and Hybrid bike chart
|Height||Recommended frame size|
|(Feet and centimeters)||Size||Inches|
|4’10” – 5’2” (148cm-158cm)||XS||13-14 inches|
|5’2” – 5’6” (158cm-168cm)||S||15-16 inches|
Road bike chart
|Height||Recommended frame size|
|(Feet and centimeters)||Centimeters||Size|
|4’10” – 5’1” (147cm-155cm)||44-46 cm||XXS|
|5’1” – 5’3” (155cm-160cm)||47-49 cm||XS|
|5’3” – 5’5” (160cm-165cm)||50-52 cm||S|
Buying Tips & Suggestions
Currently, some brands have started manufacturing bikes for shorter women; still, it is better to review certain aspects before buying the bike. Below are some factors and tips that should be considered for purchasing decisions of these bikes.
- Know your proportions and measurements
Have a clear idea about your height and inseam. For shorter women, the inseam is very important because it is the height at which the rider can comfortably stand over the bike and easily complete a full pedal stroke. It is measured barefoot from the instep to the crotch.
- Test drive
It is best to buy the bike from a store so that you can try out the bikes. Do not stick to only women’s brands. Try men’s brands too because a perfect fit can also be possible with them. Some bikes are even unisex, fitting both shorter men and women. Also, use a bike fitting service where the shop experts will customize certain parts to fit your preferences.
- Frame size and parts
Before buying, gather some information about the right sizing of different parts. The length between seat and pedal, handlebar length, size of wheel and tire, etc., should all be considered. The best riding experience starts with a perfect riding partner. For shorter women, that would refer to a bike that suits their height. A compact frame with wheels, not more than 26 inches, is perfect in that regard. Most of the women use step-through frame bikes; you can buy that or try other frames too.
- Focus On Gender-Specific Bikes
Yes, shorter people can choose unisex bicycles available on the market, keeping all their needs and preferences in mind. However, in most cases, they do not prove to be useful for adult women of a height under five feet. As such, bikes made for and aimed at women specifically, may suit the shorter ladies. Look through the choices and decide which one is perfect for you by comparing the frame height and size with your own.
- Adjust and Fine Tune the Bike
It might be possible that the bike you bought after careful observation and examination has turned out to be slightly bigger than expected. In that case, it is a waste of money, time, and effort to return it. For that, bike fitting serves as a viable option. You can do it yourself or ask the professionals. Most bicycle shops will offer fitting services.
Overall, you can adjust any section that may result in your discomfort. To hone and enhance comfort, you can try lowering the seat height and then moving the saddle forward on the seat post. You can also replace the stem for one of a different length or rise. If the handlebars are too far and have are leaning in, swap it with a set of cruiser bars for a more upright sitting posture.
- Keep an Open Mind to the Model and Company
We all have preferences when it comes to buying a branded object. Nevertheless, it is imperative to keep an open mind when choosing a bike for a shorter height range. It may be that a company that you don’t favor has the perfect bicycle for you. In such instances, we suggest you go for it if its specifications meet all your expectations and necessities.
Top Five Best Bikes for Shorter Women
Since height does not restrict most activities, why should it impede the bike riding experience? Let us look at five of the best women’s bikes for shorter women that provide a comfortable but thrilling ride.
1. Best mountain bike: Schwinn High Timber 24-inch mountain bike
Schwinn is an American brand that has been in the bicycle manufacturing industry for quite a long time. Thus, they are well acquainted with the needs of a bike rider.
Their Schwinn High Timber 24-inch mountain bike is a comfortable step-through frame bike meant for shorter women. Young girls can also use it if the sizing fits. The frame is made of steel, and the tires are 24 inches.
The seat post is adjustable, and the seat in itself is nicely cushioned. The bike has 21-speed gears for easy speed maneuvering on different terrain tracks. It is also perfect for neighborhood rides.
- Durable mountain bike designed for trails and neighborhood rides
- Alloy crank provides steady gearing and less maintenance
Last update on 2021-10-26 at 09:33 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- 24-inch wheel size.
- Steel frame.
- Front-type suspension.
- Front and rear alloy linear-pull brakes.
- 21-speed shifters with a rear derailleur.
- Quick-release seat post.
- The steel frame offers durability on rocky mountainous terrains.
- The alloy linear-pull brakes have precise stopping power.
- The alloy cranks permit steady gearing and minimal maintenance.
- The quick-release seat post allows effortless height adjustments.
- The wheel’s alloy rims make the bike lightweight and steady.
- Slightly uncomfortable seat.
- Lack of storage space.
- Low-quality plastic paddles.
For ladies who love adventure and thrills, this bicycle is one of the best you can get.
2. Best cruiser bike for short women: Huffy 24” Nel Lusso Women’s Cruiser Bike
This bike, designed for comfort, style, and convenience, offers everything that you need and even more so. It has several features to ensure a smooth ride, catering primarily to individuals within the height range of 4’8” to 5’8”.
The bike’s design and color offer a very classy look. Apart from its retro look, it also exceeds performance expectations. The center of gravity is low, and it effectively absorbs the shocks. The handle and seat position is perfect for a comfortable seating position.
The upright sitting posture helps in reducing any kind of back discomfort. The bike parts have matching looks, and it also has a basket, cup holder, and a rear rack.
- Perfect steel fit frame.
- Coaster-style brakes.
- Adjustable padded seat designed a little further back with a lower center of gravity.
- Raised handlebar.
- Front basket, rear rack, and a beverage holder.
- 24-inch wheels.
- The perfect fit Frame enhances comfort and confidence during the ride.
- The bike allows height adjustment of the seat so that both of the rider’s feet touch the ground flat-footed.
- The raised handlebars allow an upright riding posture.
- The saddle is further back to permit the rider’s leg extension while pedaling, reducing strain on the neck, leg, hands, and back.
- The additional storage space adds to a convenient and comfortable ride.
- Difficult assembly.
- Brakes do not function properly.
Irrespective of its few drawbacks, the bicycle makes for a great bike for shorter women.
3. Best hybrid bike: Sixthreezero EVRYjourney 24” Step-Through Hybrid Cruiser Bicycle
This is a step-through frame bike which makes mounting the bike easier for women with varying heights. The pedal position and the floor forward seat allow even the shorter women to comfortably place their feet on the ground in the seating position.
It is a hybrid bike, so it can be used as a cruiser and also for commuting purposes. It has a 7-speed gear and dual handlebar braking mechanism.
The seat is comfortable, and the positioning allows the rider to sit straight, avoiding any back strain. This bike not only provides great performance but also has a vintage appearance.
- Versatile women's hybrid cruiser bicycle with 14-inch swooping step-through aluminum frame; perfect for cruise, leisure, and commute rides
- Upright riding style keeps your back and shoulders comfortable; foot-forward design helps maintain proper leg extension
Last update on 2021-10-25 at 23:17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- Aluminum frame with pedal positioning and foot-forward seat.
- Front and rear handbrakes with 7-speed Shimano external derailleur.
- Full fenders, leather stitched grip, and dual spring seat.
- Front and back type suspension.
- 26-inch wheels and 1.95-inch-wide whitewall semi-slick tires.
- Additional rear rack.
- The design allows appropriate leg extension for a proper riding posture.
- When at a complete halt, riders of varying height scan put their feet flat on the ground.
- The dual-spring seat and leather-stitched grips enhance comfort.
- The fenders protect riders from rain and debris.
- It has a rear rack for use with optimal baskets.
- Unsuitable for mountain trails.
- Arduous assembly.
With almost negligible drawbacks, this bike makes for a worthwhile purchase.
4. Best full suspension bike: Mongoose R3577 Maxim Full Suspension Bicycle
Mountain bikes need to be sturdy as well as light for easy maneuvering. You can have this with the Mongoose R3577 Maxim Full Suspension Bicycle (24-inch). It has full suspension for better shock absorption, and the aluminum frame makes the bike have better control.
The brakes are very effective in stopping the bike. To easily manage the speed, the bike has 21-speed gears. The seat offers premium cushioning and is also adjustable. You can also get some add-ons like mudguards and reflectors for a better riding experience on mountain trails.
The bike provides maximum comfort and convenience to all riders by offering an aluminum full suspension mountain frame and suspension fork, catering exceptionally to shorter women.
- Aluminum full suspension mountain frame maximizes comfort and performance. 24-inch wheels fit riders ages 8 and up, or 4’8” to 5’6”
- Suspension fork smooths out bumps and increases control
Last update on 2021-10-26 at 07:19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- SRAM twist shifters.
- 21 speeds with Shimano rear derailleur.
- Linear pull brakes.
- 24-inch wheel.
- Aluminum full suspension frame.
- Dual suspension system.
- Comfortable and adjustable saddle.
- Additional chain guard and bike stand.
- The suspension fork planes out the road in front, allowing a smooth and comfortable ride.
- The SRAM twist gears permit a swift and effortless gear change.
- The linear-pull brake provides powerful and efficient braking power.
- Its assembly is exceptionally uncomplicated and undemanding.
- Its seat height adjustment feature is handy for shorter individuals.
- Plastic gear in the rear derailleur is vulnerable to damage.
- No additional storage space.
This model is a great bike for shorter women among all the suspension types available, making it perfect for adolescent girls.
5. Best single speed bike: Sixthreezero Around the Block Women’s Single-Speed Beach Cruiser
If you want a bike that performances well and embraces practicality and simplicity, this steel frame sixthreezero Around the Block Cruiser is the best option. This bike is best to cruise through beaches and city streets.
The bike’s design and style are so versatile that it suits both the older and younger female crowd. It features an upright riding design and sweeping cruiser handlebars, allowing riders of 4’2” to 4’11” to cruise with style, comfort, enjoyment, and convenience.
This single-speed bike has a reverse braking mechanism for easy stopping. It comes in many colors for you to choose from.
- Classic, curvy Women's beach cruiser bicycle with 14-inch durable steel frame; ideal for casual, comfortable riding around the neighborhood
- Upright riding style keeps your back and shoulders comfortable; dual-spring saddle and wide cruiser handlebar with foam grips
Last update on 2021-10-26 at 09:33 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- 24-inch wheels with large waffle tread tire.
- Rigid type suspension.
- Durable steel frame.
- Coaster style brakes.
- Dual spring saddle.
- Wide cruiser handlebar with high-density foam grip.
- Single-speed system.
- Additional rear rack and chain-guard.
- Details like high-density foam grip on wide handlebars, upright riding style design, and dual-spring seat provide back, tailbone, and shoulder comfort.
- The wheels’ tread tires help plane out the bumps and depressions of the road.
- The coaster braking system employing backward pedaling allows effortless halting.
- The bike includes a rear rack for use with optimal baskets.
- The single-speed feature makes it perfect for cruising on flat terrains.
- Arduous assembly.
- Comes with faulty packaging.
- No handbrakes.
For some, biking is a form of exercise, while some feel relaxed and do it to release stress. But irrespective of the reason, it is essential to feel comfortable riding them. There are quite a few brands making bikes that are suitable for these riders, but as a customer investing in the purchase, do your research before making the final purchase.