People who like mountain biking find this activity a good way to exercise and spend time with friends and family under the sun. Women thinking of joining this crowd should first buy the right mountain bike and refer to the following useful tips before taking their bike and leaving for an adventure.
Few tips for women when going for mountain biking
- Getting the right bike: it is important to get the right bike that fits you. The height should be right, and the seat, paddle, and handlebar positioning should be comfortable.
- What to expect on the off-road trails: the natural trails and forest ways are bumpy, steep, and muddy at times. So, know your ability to ride on these trails and start at your own pace. Make sure that the experience is fun.
- Practice the biking skills: after getting the mountain bike, get used to the bike’s features. Practicing on the bike is needed so that you will be able to safely ride on the trails and can control the bike in tricky areas.
- Dress right: remember to wear clothing that is comfortable and not a hindrance to riding. Do not go for baggy clothes as they can be unsafe. Also, wear bike helmets, shoes, and if needed, then gloves and cycling eyewear.
- Inspect the bike: before leaving, check the bike one last time to ensure that all the parts are intact and at the best state.
Here we are going to help by reviewing five affordable womens mountain bikes for a range of ages.
- 1 Top Five Women’s Mountain Bikes Under $500
- 2 Women’s Mountain Bike Features
- 3 Mountain Bike Riding Style
- 4 Difference Between Men’s and Women’s Mountain Bikes
- 5 Can A Woman Ride A Man’s Bike?
- 6 Women’s Mountain Bike Size
- 7 Conclusion
Top Five Women’s Mountain Bikes Under $500
This is an ideal mountain bike for riders 13 years and above. Height-wise, the minimum height is 5 feet tall. The wheels are 26 inches and are knobby, making the rides more safe and easy to maneuver. The frame is 17 inches and is made of durable steel, which allows the bike to withstand difficult trails. Another thing that increases the bike’s life and makes the rides fun and smooth is the front suspension fork.
- Trail ready alloy mountain frame with SR Suntour XC-E28 suspension fork. Fits riders 5’4” to 6’2” tall.
- 21-speed shifters and derailleurs provide quick, precise gear changes.
Last update on 2021-10-26 at 19:20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The bike is equipped with handbrakes that deliver effective stopping action on demand which is very important, especially when accelerating through any downhill trail. And the system that helps with the effortless gear shifting and speed is the indexed Shimano TZ-31 rear derailleur and micro-shift twist shifter, which deliver 21 speeds.
The bike does come in few color options, so feel free to choose the one you like. The alloy wheels come in matte black color giving the bike a sleek look.
- The seat is slightly raised for better posture and less strain.
- Comes with a quick-release seat.
- The rear guard protects the gears from damage.
- Easy gear shifting.
- The Kraton grips are very comfortable.
- Not the most comfortable saddle.
- The instruction user manual is not very clear.
- The handlebar loosens very often.
Royce Union RMA Women’s Mountain Bike is one such model of MTB that can ride on different types of terrains and forest ways. It is affordable and lightweight. But that does not make this aluminum hardtail frame bike any less sturdy. The frame is 15 inches, and the wheels are 27.5 inches. Also, this bike is durable because it is made of anti-corrosive materials.
- RMA is the perfect trail companion; an all-terrain mountain bike ideal for trails, gravel paths and even paved streets; hardtail aluminum frame never rusts and is lighter than steel for easier acceleration and easier handling
- Assembly video beside images - Arrives with bike assembly tools; 15-inch frame is suggested for minimum inseam of 25.25 inches; 17 inch frame is also available; front Zoom suspension fork smoothly absorbs shocks from bumps and dips
Last update on 2021-10-26 at 20:12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The bike allows a smooth ride because of its front Zoom suspension fork, which absorbs most of the shocks and minimizes the rider’s jerks when riding on a bumpy road. And for better friction and grip, the wheels are large, and alloy keeps them from rusty or damaged.
The alloy linear-pull braking system ensures safe rides and is also very effective in stopping the bikes when speeding through downhill trails. As for acceleration, the bike is equipped with a 21-speed range, and a swift gearing system with Shimano EZ Fire Plus Trigger and the Shimano Altus rear indexed derailleur.
- Available in two bright colors, blazing red and slick metallic teal.
- Easy gear shifting with just index finger and thumb.
- Made of rust-resistant material.
- Does not require too much tuning or adjustments.
- Has quick release seat.
- One drawback about this bike is that it requires more storage space compared to other bikes.
- Kickstand not included.
The Schwinn Mesa adult mountain bike is an ideal bike for those who have experience in mountain biking. It is best suited to those between 5 foot 2 and 5 foot 6 given its small frame.
The small frame is in contrast to the large 27.5-inch wheels, making it a perfect option for mountain biking. These large wheels help to give you a more comfortable ride, reducing the impact of a more uneven terrain. They also allow the bike to be pushed to its limits, letting you ride as you desire.
- The Schwinn Mesa 3 is for riders who want to take mountain biking to the next level
- Schwinn mountain-tuned aluminum frame and Zoom HL565 aluminum suspension fork are great for dirt trails and gravel paths
Last update on 2021-10-26 at 10:00 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The light aluminum frame helps to keep the bike as light as possible, giving room for the weightier add-ons to help improve your performance, such as the brakes, suspension and shifters. The Zoom HL565 suspension fork makes the Schwinn Mesa bike ideal for tougher terrains such as gravel or dirt paths. This means that you can go off of the beaten track and explore at your own leisure.
The gear changes are as smooth as possible thanks to the Shimano shifters, helping you to focus on your ride rather than the workings of your bike. There are 21 speeds available. This lets you adapt your bike to suit the terrain, making your ride as enjoyable as possible.
- 21 speeds
- Precise shifts
- Great suspension
- Large 27.5-inch wheels
- The main body arrives assembled
- Only suitable for people between 5 foot 2 and 5 foot 6
- Maximum weight of 270 pounds
- No kickstand – but one can be added
Huffy Hardtail Mountain Trail Bike comes in both the men and women models. There are nine color ranges to choose from, and the body also has a graphic design on it, making it look more stylish. The frame is 15 inches and is best for the riders with 28 inches inseam. The hardtail frame is made of lightweight aluminum delivering better control and speed to the bike.
- An energetic design with vibrant graphics, 17-inch frame is suggested for minimum inseam of 29 inches; 15 inch frame is also available
- The lightweight aluminum frame is backed by our limited 10-year frame warranty (see owner's manual for details); Aluminum frame provides superior handling
Last update on 2021-09-27 at 08:33 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The effortless shifting of gears and changing between the 21 speeds all because of the all-SHIMANO drivetrain and the SHIMANO TY-300 indexed rear derailleur. The Shimano EZ fire Plus Trigger makes gear shifting easy using the index finger and the thumb. The front suspension allows the user to have smooth rides even on rocky terrains.
The tires are knobby, which creates excellent grip, but when coupled with the alloy linear-pull brakes and machined alloy wheel rims, the rider gets better control of the bike. The saddle and the pedals are made using ATB-type resin, which makes even long rides very comfortable.
- The handlebar is slightly raised for a comfortable posture.
- The saddle and handlebar positioning reduces strain on the back, arms, and shoulders.
- Has micro-shift twist shifter that helps with consistent speed.
- For better grip, the pedals have Kraton grips.
- The seat is less comfortable.
- The manual is not very detailed.
- Requires adjustments and tuning of multiple parts.
This Hiland MTB is a very good choice for women because it has customized the bike’s geometry to suit their crowd. The aluminum frame is lightweight and is comparatively small in size, which makes it easy to handle. Also, the upper tube of the bike is specially designed to suit women users.
- 【High Tech Frame】Hiland GAMILLE 300 has a high quality ultralight aluminum frame to enjoy your adventures. This design also makes for a lower standover height, which is good for shorter riders because it allows them to straddle their bike more easily.
- 【Brake&Shifter】Dual disc brakes provide you better durability and stopping power. 3*8 drivetrain gives various sections of the ride.Give your ride a reliable boost.
Last update on 2021-10-26 at 11:47 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
In terms of its performance, it comes with 24-speed Shifters, which delivers smooth acceleration and ensures that the rider is in full control of the bike. And the double-disc brake system increases safety in all situations. The LOCKOUT suspension fork makes riding the bike in all types of trails very smooth and enjoyable. It also increases the life of the bike as it jumps and jolts less on bumpy tracks.
If the user is in the range of 5’1-5’9 height-wise, then the 26 inches MTB is best, and for 5’3- 6’tall users, go for the 27.5 inches Hiland MTB. Buy this bike and have a great time biking through the mountains and forest ways.
- Comes 85% assembled.
- The bike also comes with all the assembly tools.
- The saddle fit is perfect and is in proportion to the bike size.
- No bike stand included.
- The saddle fit is good but is not quite hard.
Women’s Mountain Bike Features
Since women have been more actively participating in mountain biking, particular sets of mountain bikes are being created for them that have specific features more suitable for women. These bikes are designed keeping the general body geometry of average women and how that may vary from an average male rider. These features and designs are not universal and do not apply to all women. However, most of them are designed to make women feel more comfortable and increase their interest and participation in outdoor sports. Some of these standard features are:
- Wheel size: Mountain bike wheels are available in three dimensions – 26 inches, 27.5 inches and 29 inches of diameter. It depends on what size you are most comfortable with. Manufacturers believe that women being shorter and petite as compared to men will be able to do better with smaller wheels to maintain their range. The new sizes offer more speed and help in absorbing more shocks and effects caused by bumps on the road.
- Frame size: This is a more critical factor than wheel size. While wheel size just accounts for the bike’s speed, frame size plays a part in the rider’s overall comfort. Following off-road trails, this is important. Determining the right frame size for women depends on two factors – height and reach. Height is measured when the rider is standing and straddling the bike. During this time, there must be a minimum of two inches of clearance between the top tube and the rider’s body. While in this position, you can lift the bike and see how high the wheels go to check the clearance. You can always check the manufacturer’s measurements or simply test your measurements to pick out a most suitable bike for you. Some frames are oddly shaped, so not having the traditional top tube and measuring your size can be difficult. In this case, you can always find the frame size best suited for using a conventional frame for reference and then compare it with any other structure to check if it is of your type.
- Full suspension: A full-suspension mountain bike features a suspension fork on the front as well as a rear shock. It is a better option for harder trails and provides a more comfortable ride as well as more speed. There are a variety of full-suspension bikes available for women. These come with different features depending on the trips the rider enjoys and their preference of comfort. A bike with full suspension might be a better choice for lighter women as it will be more comfortable and effortless for them.
- Saddle: Saddle is an essential part of a bike. It is something riders pay careful attention to while choosing a bike. Saddle forms a necessary part of the comfort a rider requires and thus is a crucial feature that manufacturers pay close attention to. Women have more full pelvic bones as compared to men. Therefore they require a full saddle. It will make their ride more comfortable—the bikes designed explicitly for women to keep this in mind and design the seats accordingly.
- Disc brakes: Disc brakes are more powerful. They work better than rim brakes. They are more efficient in wet conditions and are weigh less as compared to rim brakes.
- Handlebars: The handlebars in case of women are shorter mostly. It is because women have narrower shoulders as compared to men. It is, however, just a matter of preference.
Mountain Bike Riding Style
Mountain biking usually takes place on roads that are away from the town and unusual. There are different categories of mountain biking. Some of these are:
- Cross country: This is the most popular discipline in mountain biking as well as the least extreme as compared to the other subjects. It includes racing from one point to another through defined trails within the shortest time possible. These trails can range from open fire roads to winding narrow single-tracks. It is designed to test the endurance and technical skills of the rider. It became an Olympic sport in 1996 and is the only form of mountain biking that is an Olympic sport.
- Trail riding: It is a form of bike riding that includes riding outside on specific trails. These trails may consist of forest paths, bridle paths or just regular trails. It is usually those roads and paths that are not used regularly by motor traffic. It can be of any length. It may even turn into a multiday trip. It can be done in groups and also be combined with other activities such as camping, backpacking, etc.
- All-mountain: It is also called as enduro. It is a type of racing mostly. Downhills are timed here. Uphills are mandatory but not timed. These competitions take place over a time of one or two days. One week-long game are also held for this. A typical al mountain ride consists of 3 to 5 stages aimed at testing the rider’s technical skills and endurance.
- Downhill: This is a genre of mountain riding practised on steep and rough mountain terrains. It often features jumps, drops, rock gardens and other such obstacles. Races are also held for this where riders are timed. The trail course is determined using tapes on both sides, and the passengers have to stay between them.
- Freeride: It is a discipline of mountain biking. It is closely related to downhill biking and dirt jumping. It involves the display of tricks, style and technical skill features. It includes riding a trail with the most creative line possible.
- Dirt jumping: This discipline of mountain biking involves riding over jumps made of dirt and becoming airborne. It also sometimes the rider performing a mid-air trick while jumping over the mounds of dirt. The increases are much more significant than BMX riding and are designed to keep the rider airborne for a longer time and at a higher position.
Difference Between Men’s and Women’s Mountain Bikes
Body geometries very universally among all human beings and not just between men and women. There is no specific category or criteria that will fit every woman or every man. Thus it is impossible to design a bike which will be perfect for all women or all for all men. From this point, there is no such huge difference between men and women’s mountain bikes that can be so clearly discerned.
There are certain men’s bikes that some women might feel more comfortable with and vice versa. But to encourage active participation of women in outdoor sports and keeping in mind the body type and features of average women in mind, women’s mountain bikes have been manufactured. These bicycles are manufactures in a way that provides more comfort to the female riders. They are not very different from men’s bikes.
The only aspects that these bikes differ in are the frame size, saddle and weight. They are designed to make the riding more comfortable and effortless for the rider by increasing the speed, making the brakes more efficient and absorbing the shocks and effect of the bumps along the track.
Some of the women’s bikes may also have shorter handlebars because women have narrower shoulders as compared to men. But these are not determining factors. Any rider can choose any bike by testing what makes them most comfortable.
Can A Woman Ride A Man’s Bike?
Anyone can ride any bike if they wish to and try hard enough for it. There are no limitations to it. There will be bikes more and less appropriate for different riders. Riders who are into this for the long term will naturally wish to have a bike that will provide them with the most comfortable so that their riding is effortless and it makes their experiences more enjoyable.
It is the reason riders choose a bike that they feel is most suitable for them. Bikes are designed for different types of riders to focusing on their comfort. But this is certainly not a criterion or imposition as to which rider can ride which bike. Not every rider is built the same way or has the same strength and stamina.
Individual female riders will feel more comfortable riding men’s bike and vice versa. So the main thing to consider is what makes a rider most convenient rather than what they are supposed to choose.
Women’s Mountain Bike Size
There are two different parameters for measuring women’s mountain bike size. These are the wheel size and frame size. The size of the wheels refers to the diameter of the wheel. It comes in three dimensions – 26, 27.5 and 29 inches. Very petite women prefer a 26 inches size wheel as it would suit them better. But most of the bikes are in the other two sizes, and many women prefer them instead.
Frame size is more important. It determines whether a bike will fit the rider well or not. All of the frames are not measured in the same way. Women’s bike frames are measured in inches, centimetres. They are available in generic sizes of S, M, L. this refers to the tube length. It may vary for different brands as well. The bike manufacturers usually have sizing guides that will help you with knowing your size correctly.
Mountain biking is an extreme sport and a great outdoor activity. It is fun as a hobby and a great way to discover nature and be away from the busy day to day life. There are different types of mountain biking. Cross country riding and trail riding are most suitable for people who wish just to be relaxed on their rides.
Since the last two decades, there is inflation in the popularity of mountain biking. More and more people are taking an interest in it. It led to the designing of many mountain bikes especially suited for women. These bikes have features that keep women’s comfort in mind and are designed to make their rides effortless. These bikes are the product of innovation and efficiency.
While choosing a bike, one has to keep in mind what serves as most comfortable for them and decide accordingly to find the best bike.