Cruiser bikes are simpler to ride and easier to maintain. They are heavy, durable bicycles. Their popularity is increasing since the late 90s. Initially, these bikes were designed with just one gear or speed, more commonly known as a single speed. But eventually, more gears were added to these bikes. Specific bikes were designed for women.
It was done concerning the fact that women are shorter and lighter. It does not apply to everyone, but soon womens cruiser bikes with gears were introduced. These bikes have gained quite some popularity and are high on demand. These have proved to be a considerable improvement over the traditional single speed cruiser bikes.
- 1 Do cruiser bikes have gears?
- 2 How do you shift gears on a cruiser bike?
- 3 Different gears comparison
- 4 The advantages of gears on cruiser bikes
- 5 Top five womens cruiser bikes with gears
- 6 Conclusion
Do cruiser bikes have gears?
Cruiser bikes were first designed during the early 1930s as a sturdy and affordable mode of transportation. They were introduced as an attempt to encourage people to buy bicycles. These cruiser bikes were designed after the motorbikes, without the engine. These bikes were sturdy, durable and heavy compared to the other more sophisticated bikes of that time.
These bikes had a single-speed drive terrain, meaning they had just one gear. It was because these bikes focused mainly on affordability. But later as the disadvantages of this system came more into focus, for its weight and sturdiness and primarily, more gears were added to the cruiser bikes. Now cruiser bikes have one, three or even seven speeds. It gives the rider more freedom to go uphill and downhill according to their wishes by adjusting different gears.
How do you shift gears on a cruiser bike?
Gears on a bike are meant to increase the inertia of the bike when the energy input from the rider reduces. It, in turn, helps in making the journey efficient. Five main components function in the working of a gear. These are:
To shift gears, you need to change the chain between the rear cassette gears to make small changes in the ride. To make significant changes, the front chainrings can be shifted. If both are shifted simultaneously, it might jam the chain or make it slip off the chainrings or cassette.
Different gears comparison
Cruiser bikes were initially available with only one speed. But eventually, as the designs were updated and new variations were made, different gears were added to womens cruiser bikes. Now a variety of these is available in the market. They have many gears, including single-speed, 3-speed, 7-speed and 21-speed.
As the name suggests, this bike has only one gear ratio available. Only the pedals give the bike its speed. A derailleur is not available. Horizontal dropouts or chain tensioner is used to maintain the chain tension in these bikes. These bikes are perfect for strolls on flat surfaces.
It provides three different speeds to the users, which are, of course, entirely controlled by him or her during the ride. It uses a spring-loaded arm to keep the tension on the chain. A derailleur is available, and a cable is attached to the shifter that pulls the derailleur arm away from or closer to the bike for shifting of gears. These bikes are great for riding on different terrains and hilly landscapes.
It provides seven gears to the user. It has a different design from the single and three-speed bikes. Different sized cogs are placed externally, and the gears are shifted by moving the chain through a derailleur in this case. It is designed to deal with inclines bumps and rough conditions. Thus it is excellent for riding tricky terrains.
This bike has a seven gear rear hub along with three different chainrings on the crank. It results in 21 different speeds. There will be some noticeable overlap in the gear ratios when shifting to a different chainring.
The advantages of gears on cruiser bikes
There are many advantages of gears on a cruiser bike. Cruiser bikes are mostly used for long-distance rides so having gears makes them a better option, especially the womens cruiser bikes with gear. It becomes more convenient for the rider to commute longer distances and smoothly handle the change of terrains. The different advantages of having gears on cruiser bikes are given below.
Top five womens cruiser bikes with gears
There are many different types of cruiser bikes available. A particular type of this is designed specifically for women. It is intended regarding the convenience and requirements of female riders. It is essential to make the right choice while choosing womens cruiser bikes with gear for yourself. Thus, given below is a list of the top five women’s cruiser bikes with gears to help you choose one perfect for you.
This bike is highly comfortable, low maintenance and perfect for casual riders. It has an upright riding style, adjustable seat and will be effortless and convenient for women. It will make for an ideal addition to the collection of womens cruiser bikes with gear.
- Classic, curvy women's beach cruiser bicycle with 17-inch durable steel frame; ideal for casual, comfortable riding around the neighborhood
- Upright riding style keeps your back and shoulders comfortable; dual-spring saddle and wide cruiser handlebar with foam grips
Last update on 2021-05-12 at 16:52 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- It has a 17-inch durable steel frame.
- It provides the user with an upright riding style.
- It has a dual-spring saddle and a wide cruiser handlebar with foam grips for the user’s utmost comfort.
- It has 1/3/7/21-speed shifters.
- It has front and rear handbrakes. It has wheels that are 26 inches in diameter and 2.125 inches in width.
- It also includes a rear basket as well as additional baskets and panniers.
- It provides the user with a comfortable riding.
- It can tackle uphill climbs and long distances.
- It has blacked out components for added style and utility as well.
- The quality of tools provided might not be good.
- There might be a little swivel to the seat.
This bike offers a comfortable riding as well as easy maintenance. It is excellent for easy rides at a leisurely pace. Thus this makes it perfect for relaxing and going on fun rides. It will be an excellent choice for women who want to spend alone relaxing and exercising with their bikes.
- Featuring a wide, dual-spring padded cruiser seat and classic cruiser handlebars, this bike provides an upright and comfortable riding position
- Ideal for riders between – 5’ 4” to 6’ 2” tall | Wheel size – 26” x 2.1” | Frame size – 17” | Pedals – ½
Last update on 2021-05-13 at 00:02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- This bike has a steel cruiser frame with fork and vintage styling.
- It has 1/3/7-speed gear-shifting.
- It has a rear coaster brake.
- It has fenders that provide weather protection as well as a retro look.
- It has a classic cruiser handlebar and an upright stem for a comfortable position.
- It sports 26-inch size wheels.
- This bike is easy to assemble.
- It has a classy vintage look.
- It provides a comfortable ride to the user.
- The manual does not have ample information and instructions.
- There is no quick-release lever to adjust the seat height.
This bike is sleek and has a modern look. It is great for riding flat surfaces as well as terrains and long distances. This bike will be a great choice for women who want to pursue biking as a casual hobby, commute, or go for adventure rides on off-road trails.
- Versatile women's hybrid cruiser bicycle with 17.5-inch swooping step-through aluminum frame; perfect for cruise, leisure, and commute rides
- Upright riding style keeps your back and shoulders comfortable; foot-forward design helps maintain proper leg extension
Last update on 2021-05-13 at 05:02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- This bike features 3/7/21-speed gears.
- It has an aluminium city frame.
- It has matching full fenders.
- The wheels on this bike are 26 inches in diameter.
- It has a brown synthetic leather saddle.
- It sports low swooping brakes
- It provides the rider with a comfortable riding position.
- It is versatile with riding through its 7-speed gears.
- The aluminium frame is lighter and better with sea air.
- There might be some issues with adjusting the fenders and apparatuses going across the fenders.
This provides a stylish, comfortable ride that is great for adventures and such trips every day. It can fit a variety of riders starting from a height of 5’4″ to 6’2″. It is lightweight, versatile, provides position geometry and convenience to the rider.
- Built for your everyday adventures, the Schwinn Sivica 7 cruiser bike provides a stylish, comfortable ride and its 26x2.125-inch wheels are suggested for riders 5’4” to 6’2” in height.
- The lightweight step-through aluminum comfort frame with Schwinn's Relaxed Position Plus geometry allows riders to pedal with ease and touch the ground when seated.
Last update on 2021-05-13 at 00:33 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- The wheels on this bike are 26 inches in diameter and 2.25 inches in width.
- The aluminium frame is lightweight.
- It features a 7-speed Shimano drivetrain that enables easy gear changes.
- The front and rear linear brakes provide efficient pull and excellent stopping power.
- A double spring suspension saddle with memory foam is available on this bike.
- This bike is lightweight and thus convenient for the user.
- It provides a comfortable ride.
- It has a beautiful retro look.
- It might be complicated and confusing to assemble.
This bike is classic, comfortable and sophisticated. It is versatile, provides an ideal and comfortable position and is versatile with its riding and durable. It will prove to be appealing to many women. It is a nice addition to womens cruiser bikes with gear.
- Women's 26-inch 1-speed cruiser bicycle that's ideal for casual riding around the neighborhood or on the boardwalk
- Classic, curvy 17-inch beach frame design with comfortable upright sitting position; front and rear fenders for added style and protection
Last update on 2021-05-13 at 01:20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- It has 1/3/7/21-speed gear-shifting
- It has a classic, curvy 17-inch beach frame.
- It has balloon tires.
- The saddle is extra wide with dual springs.
- The front and rear hand brakes provide precise stopping.
- It has specially crafted crank machines that allow a smooth ride on a variety of paths.
- This bike provides a smooth ride.
- It has coaster brakes which are a safer and preferable option.
- Its three-speed range is limited.
The womens cruiser bikes with gear are an excellent option for women who prefer the outdoors and biking and those who simply like commuting on a bike. A gear system is the best form of energy transmission with maximum output and minimum input. These bikes are comfortable, versatile, stylish and overall great for women.
They are available in four different gear ranges, single-speed, 3-speed, 7-speed and 21-speed. Every rider has unique requirements and comfort needs. Based on yours, you can choose a cruiser bike that will be perfect for you.